Easy Breakfast Venison
This breakfast style fresh venison sausage recipe is straight forward and dead easy. The spices are the same that you may find in any breakfast sausage, just in increased amounts.
This one is a favorite with my hunting buddies when we are at deer camp.
I always make sure I have some of this venison sausage recipe in the freezer from our last successful trip, just in case.
- 3 lbs well trimmed venison. Make sure the deer meat is clean of any blood clots, sinew, or other connective tissue.
- 1 lb boneless pork shoulder
- 1 lb pork fat or fatty trimmings, well chilled
- 3 tablespoons rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons medium ground black pepper (fresh is best)
- 1 cup ice water
- Trim all the meat, cut it and the fat into 1 inch cubes, and grind it all through the medium plate of your meat grinder.
- Combine the spices in a small container and mix with the 1 cup of ice water.
- Pour the spice and water combination into the ground meat mixture and mix thoroughly for at least 2 minutes. Use your hands for mixing to assure even distribution.
- Once the deer sausage is fully mixed, either stuff it into 1 lb capacity plastic meat bags or make it into patties.
This sausage should be cooled as soon as it is done. It can be kept in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
By using a vacuum sealer for packaging, I'm able to keep this in my
freezer for 9 months with no loss of flavor or texture. that way there's
always some ready for our next deer camp.
These recipe amounts can be easily multiplied for larger batches.
Venison Sausage Recipes
Easy Breakfast Venison Sausage