Spicy Deer Breakfast Sausage Recipe
Sometimes you just need to spice up a deer breakfast sausage recipe. That's what I've done here.
The addition of red pepper adds a whole new twist to the mix. For those of you who really like your heat, you can always tweak the red pepper flakes but...
...I recommend you fry up a little and try it before you add anything more.
This is one of the recipes that my sausage making buddies always asked me for. It is simplicity itself, and they always had a hard time believing I wasn't leaving out some essential ingredient just to keep it a secret.
- 3 lbs vension
- 2 lbs fatty pork shoulder or 1 lb lean pork and 1 lb pork fat.
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon rubbed sage
- 3 tablespoon medium ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon granulated or powdered garlic
- 1 cup ice water
- Trim the venison of all bloody areas and tough connective tissue, cut it and the pork into 1 inch cubes, and grind it all through the medium plate of your meat grinder.
- Combine the spices in a small container and mix with the 1 cup of ice water.
- Pour the spice and water combination into the ground meat and mix thoroughly for at least 2 minutes. Use your hands for mixing to assure even distribution.
- Once the sausage is fully mixed, stuff it immediately into casings and cool it down.
This venison sausage works equally well as a fresh patty recipe too. You may even want to shape it into logs and freeze it. Then you can cut slices and fry it as needed.
When I do stuff this recipe, I like to use 29-32mm natural hog or collagen casings. You could also finish it in the smoker, but remember, if you do, add a level teaspoon of either Prague powder or Instacure for each 5 lbs. of meat used.
Don't keep this sausage in the fridge for more than a couple of days. It stores well in the freezer for at least 3 months, but that can be stretched considerably if you use a vacuum sealer.
Click here for more Deer Breakfast Sausage Recipes
Click Here to go to the Sausage Making Home Page