Basic Sweet Italian Sausage Recipe
Here's a great basic sweet Italian sausage recipe that I use all the time in pasta sauces and on pizza.
- 5 lbs boned pork butt
- 5 teaspoons cracked fennel seed
- 5 teaspoons fine ground black pepper
- 3 1/2 teaspoons pickling salt (or 5 teaspoons kosher salt)
- 1 cup ice water
- 32-35mm natural or collagen casing.
- Trim the pork, cut it into 1 inch cubes, and grind it through the fine plate of your meat grinder.
- Combine the spices in a 1 quart container and mix with the 1 cup of ice water.
- Pour the spice and water combination into the ground pork and mix thoroughly for at least 2 minutes. Use your hands for mixing to assure even distribution.
- Once the sausage is fully mixed, either stuff it into casings or make it into patties or bulk packages.
This sausage should be cooled as soon as it is done. It can be kept in the refrigerator for 2-3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Click Here for another Italian Sausage Recipe
Click Here to go to the Sausage Making Home Page